Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mám se fantasticky!


I do have to admit that the Prague picture from my first post was, regrettably, found on good ol' Google. Now, however, I am finally able to submit my own version. I promise that the rest of the pictures on my blog from now on will be taken by me, unless otherwise noted!

The past few days here have been very hectic - unpacking, getting settled into a new environment, language, culture, food, transit system, etc... And the NYU staff has done a fantastic job of getting us acclimated to our surroundings. To the left, you can see the NYU in Prague center, located in Male Namesti, just a few feet away from Old Town Square! Monday, we began our intensive Czech class, which meets for 2.5 hours each day and is meant to be a crash course to teach us useful phrases and words for getting around in the city. In addition, Petra (my teacher) has been really great about answering any questions we may have about Czech culture. A few things I've learned from her, from other staff members, and from observation:

1. Czechs count on their hands beginning with their thumbs. So if you ask for "jedno pivo" - one beer - you can give a "thumbs up sign" to indicate the number "one."

2. When in any kind of building, including apartment buildings and stores, the first floor, or ground floor is actually designated as "floor 0." Any kind of floors under that would be the -1, -2, etc. floor. Tesco, the most comprehensive store known to my knowledge (think of it as a Wal Mart, but even better!) is no exception. The Tesco supermarket is located on floor -1 and has delicious treats such as kiwi juice and bacon-flavored potato chips!

3. The transit system here is extremely efficient and clean..... like, spotless. There are trams, 3 metro lines, and busses, all of which come about once every 3 minutes or so. While riding the transit system, Czechs tend to be very quiet, owing to their reserved public nature. They, however, do not hesitate to make pretty unmistakable eye contact with strangers.... I still haven't quite figured that out. Oh yeah, and trams ALWAYS have the right of way on the street!

4. Beer is, unmistakably, a very important aspect of Czech culture. From my apartment, which is in a largely residential neighborhood, there are probably at least 10 bars within a 5 minute walk. Every restaurant has beer taps, and Czechs drink beer throughout the day, even though it is stronger here than in the US. It is common to see a bar getting decent business at 12pm or earlier. Pivo (the word for beer) typically costs in the 25 koruna range, which is the equivalent of about $1.50..... for a half liter measured meticulously to the line, the rest with foam! Beer here really does taste much better - it's more mild and goes really well with any meal, including the rabbit and dumplings I was able to sample at a traditional Czech restaurant last night with some of my friends and members of the NYU staff!

Aside from intensive Czech, I've gotten a chance to go on a few tours, arranged through NYU. One took us through the Jewish quarter, where we were able to see a few synagogues (including the oldest operating synagogue in the world), the famous Jewish cemetery, and other remnants of the Jewish community in Prague, including many relics from the time when Prague was under Nazi control. A trip to Terezin concentration camp is in the works, probably in October. Unfortunately, pictures were not allowed at almost every point on that tour.

Today, I was also able to go on a tour of Old Town. This includes the astronomical clock (left), Cathedral, Theater where Mozart premiered "Don Giovanni" (which hit home for me!) and other major landmarks in the center of the city. It was a great way to understand even more about the history of the city that I will be living in for the next few months.... not to mention a wonderful chance to be a tourist for a bit in the place I hope to eventually call my temporary home.

On tap for the rest of the week (was that a beer allusion?): more Czech class, a tour of Prague Castle tomorrow, a trip to the opera to see Turandot on Friday night, food shopping (sure to be an interesting experience), and who knows what else? Until then, I look forward to hearing from you via email, skype, or comments on my blog... dobrou noc (good night)!

2 comments:

Asher said...

I am so jealous. It looks every bit as beautiful as described. I particularly liked the zodiac clock and the shul...
Oh yeah, the pivo (same word in Russian) and your "drinking buddy" both had my mouth watering.

---
(;o{ }

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to travel right along with you - thanks for sharing your fun! Can't wait to experience more!