Thursday, September 18, 2008

Disneyland and the Mafia.... an unusual pairing

Well, it seems as though the dust is beginning to settle a bit here in Prague. What that means is that I've finally established somewhat of a routine and am getting used to the ins and outs of daily life here (I still do have a ways to go in that department, though..... it took me about 20 minutes to unsuccessfully look for chicken stock in the supermarket the other day!). While in my first few weeks, I was really trying hard to blend into my surroundings as much as possible, one thing I have definitely learned is that sometimes it really is ok to admit defeat and speak to a store clerk in English, get a little homesick and go to Starbucks, or - screw it - have a conversation with a friend on the otherwise silent metro. I think that in Prague, people don't mind foreigners and tourists at all, just so long as you stay respectful of their culture, their language (which can easily become the butt of many, many jokes), and their history.

This week, my classes have ben particularly interesting. For my Cultural History of the City class, we went to Vysehrad, one of 2 major Hill Forts from the middle ages (the other being Prague Castle). And although it would have been really cool to go up there otherwise, it made it that much more special to really understand the history and cultural context of Vysehrad as it has evolved to the present day. (To the left is my professor lecturing in front of the hill fortification). Vysehrad was rebuilt in the Baroque period as an homage of sorts to Prague's history and its notable public figures. It is now adorned with many sculptures, symbolic artwork, and a cemetery, where Czech "celebrities" have been buried, including the well-known composer Bedrich Smetana. It was really interesting to see how the functional fort has evolved into what my professor calls "Nationalist Disneyland." 

For my advertising class, we went to 2 shopping malls. I know what you're thinking..... what a ridiculous class! But before you judge, know that the first mall was built in the 70s by the Communist party as a way of curbing consumerism. The theory was that citizens were not actually envious of the west's freedom of choice, but rather their ability to consume. As a result, Kotva (the mall) was filled with "things," which most people unfortunately didn't want. When juxtaposed with Palladium, a brand new, sparkling mall rivaling the nicest I've seen in the States, it is easy to see why Kotva failed, although it still is in business today (our professor advised against going to the top floor, the mall's administrative offices, as the mafia has a rather large presence there). 

Tomorrow I am heading to Berlin for the weekend!!! I'll be sure to update and let you know all about my German adventures! Until then, Na Shledanou!

Church of Our Lady of the Snows, which we visited for my Czech Architecture class.

4 comments:

Asher said...

I'm sure most Europeans make their own chicken stock. Very simple: Cook up a bunch of chicken parts with onion, carrot, celery, parsley, salt & pepper. Use plenty of water and let it simmer until reduced and concentrated. That's it.

charming_charles said...

ummm...smetana in russian means sour cream.

he has a funny last name.

love ya...we need to chat abou meeting up in a month or sooo.

-cha
kthanxbai

Asher said...

Actually, not only in Russian; but sour cream is also called Smetana in Finnish, Belarusian and Ukrainian (written сметана in the Cyrillic alphabet), Schmetten or Schmand in German, Kisla smetana in Slovenian, śmietana in Polish, Shmetana in Yiddish kysaná smetana in Bulgarian and Smotana in Slovak.

Oren said...

Yes, in Czech too. When I need to buy heavy cream at the supermarket, I look for Smetana.