Thursday, November 13, 2008

On Being American in Europe

Studying in Europe for a semester has given me so much added perspective on what it means to be American - both personally and as viewed by foreigners. It has made me become more aware of my actions, mannerisms, and language and also those of other Americans around me. It's a strange environment here, being an American surrounded by non-Americans. And though I could not purport to have the same trains of thought as a European, I think that my perspective has shifted, and I am much more able to look objectively at my fellow Americans, especially those I've encountered here in Europe.

It's too bad that Americans get a bad rap, throughout Europe in particular, as bad guests. But again, after traveling around for a bit, it can be pretty easy to see why. After all, I've found that the archetypical "ugly American" is not a myth, but a sad fact. This is not to say that all Americans are obnoxious, loud, and impolite, but unfortunately, those exhibiting such behaviors are, about 4 times out of 5, indeed Americans. What exactly are these behaviors, though? What is an Ugly American? Some of the answers might surprise you as they have me, but many will be painfully obvious. Of course, these are just my observations after traveling around Europe, particularly the Czech Republic.

-The Ugly American is loud. Like, really loud, especially in comparison to those around them. Many public places in Europe, such as subways and trams tend to be quiet, but the Ugly American pays no attention.
-The Ugly American assumes and expects that everyone speaks English. He does not attempt to learn or use the language of the country that he is in, even in a basic capacity.
-The Ugly American is mistrusting of the country he is visiting and the people in it. He assumes that goods and services in that country will inevitably be inferior to those of the US.
-The Ugly American constantly compares the USA to the country he is visiting. Instead of acknowledging, or even enjoying cultural differences, he is quick to criticize them.
-The Ugly American dresses in clothes laden with American logos.
-The Ugly American expects foreigners to understand and comply with American nuances in language, mannerisms, and customs, instead of attempting to conform to those of the country he is visiting. He does not pick up on cultural cues.
-The Ugly American would rather eat something familiar than try something traditional to the country he is visiting.
-The Ugly American has difficulty grasping the concept that most cities are not created solely for tourists and that native people are not tourist attractions.
-The Ugly American sees sights for the sake of seeing them. He does not attempt to understand their cultural or historical significance.

I'm sure I could come up with more.... I'd be curious to have some feedback on this issue, as well. Do you agree or disagree?

I'm off to Interlaken, Switzerland for a long weekend. I have BIG plans, but will keep them secret until the actually pan out!

2 comments:

Jackie Marks said...

Ah love the Ugly American list. It is so true and I was actually thinking about the concept today! I also love the pics from Vienna, we were just discussing the Hapsburg monarchy in my Renaissance Europe class.

Thanks for keeping me entertained when facebook gets boring :)

Asher said...

I've heard this so often in the past. I find it confusing and disappointing. I've not had the opportunity to go abroad but I have spent time in other regions of the U.S. These travels have had their own versions of culture clash. I never like to appear "touristy". I try to assimilate and not stand out. As I'm writing it occurs to me that these "ugly Americans" are probably insecure being out of their element. Finding themselves surrounded by "foreigners" they feel the need to assert their national identity.