Thursday, November 20, 2008

A few days in the Swiss Alps.... it sure is a tough life.



Let me tell you.... some things just keep on getting better and better - namely, my trips around Europe. This past monday was a Czech holiday (celebrating the Velvet Revolution), so naturally we decided to go somewhere on our extra-long weekend! Some of my friends and I chose Interlaken, Switzerland..... and what a great choice it was! Now, there's not much sightseeing to do in Interlaken, meaning there are very few churches, public buildings, monuments, famous landmarks, etc. But the beauty of the Swiss Alps in the Jungfrau Region (where Interlaken is located) is truly breathtaking and the people are so friendly (especially as opposed to the more reserved nature of the Czechs). After a 12-hour bus ride there (major bummer), We spent our three days in Interlaken relaxing, taking in the sights, hiking, going way up in the mountains....... oh yeah, and I also jumped off of an 80m/250ft cliff!

The 80m Cliff I jumped off of!!

Yeah, I'm not kidding. It was the scariest, craziest thing I've ever done in my life..... but what a rush! Canyon Jumping is pretty much like bungee jumping, except instead of jumping backwards and straight down, you jump right off of a platform (free fall) and into the canyon, all the while looking at the rocky surface below! The good news is that I, in fact, have lived to tell the tale.

Aside from insane extreme sports, we got to see so many absolutely stunning parts of the Swiss Alps and Interlaken's surrounding lakes, as well as the city of Bern (not my favorite, but still quite charming, albeit insanely expensive). On our second day, we woke up at 6am to catch a 7am train to Jungfraujoch, the "top of Europe" and the highest train station on the continent. As we climbed higher and higher along the 2.5 hour trip, it became snowier and ever more scenic. It was definitely the most beautiful train ride I've ever been on - the sights of the tiny Swiss towns, and then the expanse of the mountains were absolutely unbelievable. And once we got to the top, it was even more impressive than we had hoped. Of course, Jungfraujoch is covered with snow, ice, and glaciers, and you can see as far as France and Italy.... where it looks like the ground is covered with water in the distance far below, it is actually a layer of clouds that we were above! And at the Jungfraujoch complex, there are observatories, a plateau that one can observe the view from, and a huge palace completely made of ice and laden with intricate ice sculptures!

On our way down, the train stopped at many small towns, and we were able to hop on and off the train as we pleased. After exploring a few, we decided to get off at Grindelwald and find a trail to hike. Needless to say, we ventured far away from Grindelwald on our 2+ hour hike and found our way far, far up in the mountains, passing through many small towns, as well as natural creeks and waterfalls. The Swiss houses were almost like right out of a movie, and the views were, again, absolutely breathtaking. 

I know I often encourage you guys to have a look at my pictures, but I really mean it this time! If you go to my Picasa (link on the right), you can see the entirety of my photo collection from Switzerland. They are absolutely stunning.

It seems as though there is no rest for the weary.... tomorrow morning, I leave for Budapest - the last of my many excursions around Europe!

Auf Wiedersehen!

Lake of Brienz, one of the two surrounding Interlaken

2 comments:

Asher said...

Okay, here's my comment. Something vital is missing in your narrative. You say that canyon jumping is like bungee (sp) jumping and that you can view the rocky bottom below. Since you're not diving into water (which would be really reckless); do you, in fact, use a bungee cord? If not, please fill in the blank.

Oren said...

Yes, you are attached to a bungee cord via a full-body harness, not around your feet (you can see pictures in Picassa, I think). I'm dumb, but I'm not THAT dumb!